Security breaches or hacking are fairly common occurrences that affect any websites regardless of their sizes. Website protection measures have improved immensely over time. As such, you ought to know how to protect your site and the things that you need to bear in mind when preventing hackers targeting your site.
Web administrators ought to have information on the dangers that are likely to occur. Below are top ways through which a website’s security can be breached and how to handle various attack cases.
1. Phishing Malware
Phishing is a common hacker method used to get valuable information like passwords and personal information that can identify someone. For instance an email from a person that purports to know you or a service that you personally use may be a phishing malware. The email asks for personal information and in other instances direct you to a website that will deceive you to divulge some very sensitive personal information.
2. Spear Phishing or Whaling
There are other alternatives to phishing that aim at certain personalities, especially key figures in a firm such as the CEO or presidents. The attacker uses personal information to earn the trust of the target. This variation to phishing is called spear phishing or whaling.
3. Injection attacks
Hackers sometimes send untrusted data to interpreters trying to deal with commands or queries. They carry out the manipulation by use of injection weak spots for instance the SQL, OS and LDAP injection. The interpreter is forced to use commands and access data they are not supposed to without their knowledge.
There are those hackers who use very powerful encryption. The ransomware used is quite specialized in that it encrypts the whole of the victim’s hard drive and changes the password to accessing the data. They use the encrypted data as leverage to ask for ransom. The hackers use mediums like phishing emails and websites that are up to no good. The hackers are changing with times; currently, they have upgraded and are looking for sites that appear to have a weakness. They are installing the server side ransomware and using the data to ask for ransom. Luckily the instances have been thwarted severally especially if the security specialist are competent. But since the hackers have been bold enough to create ransomware, there are very high chances that they are becoming better with time, and soon they will come out much stronger.
5. Stealing Peoples Identity
There are worrying trends involving theft of children’s identity all over the world. The children only come to the realization that their identities were stolen once they are grown-ups and in need of credit facilities. Previously, hackers would just take the identity of grown-ups but with the new trend, it is even more worrying.
6. Internet Of Things
With the invention of the Internet Of Things, our way of life has been transformed. On the same note, hackers are using available facilities both at home and in the offices to access personal information. They planning of the attacks are often strategic with them striking when least expected. Once the assault happens, it is mostly very catastrophic.
7. Cyber Espionage
There are state sponsored cyber-attacks. China is well known to spearhead such attacks on foreign governments and corporates. The Sony Company, for example, was attacked by North Korea which brought a lot of animosity between the two countries. There are other smaller attacks on smaller corporates that are rarely reported. The lack of reporting could be that the targeted person does not even realize their systems were hacked into while others do not want to report because it may scare away clients and potential investors.
8. Entirely Unknown
Juniper software was discovered previously to have some hacker backed system way back in 2016. No one really knew about it for so long. This goes to show that hackers are always on the lookout to manipulate people and systems.
Latest Tips on How to Secure a Website Like a Pro
Securing systems and processes in any organization is very important. Websites, for example, need to be protected from hackers and other threats.
Keeping your website safe does not have to be expensive. As such, below are vital security hacks to keep your website secure.
- Open source content management systems such as Drupal conduct regular updates. This is vital as updating the core files helps to protect website from potential threats and bugs that might be sent by hackers.
- There are newsletters which are often released today educating users on website protection techniques. It is only paramount that you subscribe to them to have an idea of the latest threats and trends in the world of hackers.
- If any wesbsite module requires an update, it’s always prudent that you perform the update. Drupal has the drush up command that lists all available updates.
- Custom codes are what hackers often use to manipulate data. It is important to have carefully written custom codes for the sake of secure systems.
- When thinking about roles and permissions, it is always imperative that you’re very cautious. For instance in Drupal, pay a lot of attention to the custom modules and make sure that URLs can only be accessed by the right roles.
- The risk of SQL injections can be sanitized by not putting values directly to SQL queries.
- When giving access to data, it is crucial that you give it to appropriate administrators. Running PHP code roles should be done by you alone.
- Using the right permissions is essential in maintaining tight security of your data.
- Being careful with the use of Drupal sandbox modules is also of utmost importance. Community reviews and testing is important to ascertain the usage. Always make sure that you review each code before using it.
- Hackers use information printed out after production to harm your systems or steal data. Therefore, it is important to not print out errors after production.
- Hint: Regular checking of status reports is a critical exercise to gauge whether there is an irregular activity taking place in your system. Sometimes just getting outside help to deal with your systems and data may keep you safe in the long run. You might want to leave a few of the maintenance works to the experts who will be able to run your sites security, carry out constant updates, and review sites analytics and reports daily. This will help you concentrate on other areas of the business.
Website security is never a one-off affair; as such, it requires constant checks and balances because the threats are always mutating.