Once you purchase a domain via Namecheap and hosting through Hostgator, it’s about time for you to set up a domain name server because your site needs to be seen live. It’s not a difficult process, follow our simple steps below:
1. Login to the cpanel in your Hostgator for your domain
Look for the section titled ‘Account Information’. It should be at the bottom, right next to the two name servers that are on your lower left. You will want to remember the names of the two servers.
2. Proceed to log in to your account on Namecheap
If you don’t have one, you can create one here.
3. To view the domain you own, click on the view link.
4. Click on your domain name.
5. On the left of the page you’ll see a link saying ‘Domain Name Server Setup’. Click on it.
6. The last step involves some copy-pasting. Copy the two name servers I told you to remember earlier and paste them into the two fields. Now, save changes.
If you need to check whether your domain name servers are all updated, all you’ll have to do is type in your domain name into your web browser.
You will know that the update is complete if your site shows up. If it doesn’t then you will have to give your servers time to finish updating. This procedure can end up taking 24 hours, but can take a shorter time depending on the situation. Keep refreshing the page every chance you get to check.